Online Tax Return

Engineers Tax Return Tips

Expenses Type ×


·         Cost to buy/hire/repair/clean Protective clothing that has protective features/functions worn to protect you from the risk of illness/injury at work such as steel capped boots, gloves, hi-vis vests.


·         Cost to buy/hire/repair/clean conventional (everyday) clothing such as business attire.

·         Deduction if your employer pays for/reimburses you for these expenses.



·         Under very limited circumstances, the cost of a trip between home and work if you don’t have a fixed workplace & you continually travel from one work site to another during your workday.

·         The costs of trips between home and work if you carry BULKY tools/equipment for your work essential for your employment duties and there is no secure storage for the items at your workplace.

·         Cost of using your own car when you drive: (1) directly between separate jobs on the SAME DAY or (2) drive to/from an alternate workplace for the same employer on the SAME DAY.

(If you travel less than 5000 km, following cent/km regime, you can simply claim a set allowance of 78 c/km for the year ended 30 June 2023. (Note: if you keep a valid logbook under logbook method, the apportionment of personal and employment usage should be backed by written evidence of your car expenses.)


·         The cost of traveling from home to work and vice-versa.

·         Travel costs that are paid/reimbursed by your employer.



Working from Home


·         Expenses you incur that relate to your work if deduction is calculated by using one of the methods provided by ATO with satisfactory evidences. ·         Milk, coffee, general household items

·         Items provided by your employer such as laptop, phone, tablet and any expenses reimbursed by the employer.

Self-Education & Study ·         Self-education & study expenses if your course relates directly to your employment as an engineer & it improves/maintains the skills/knowledge required for your current role OR results/likely to result in an increase in your current employment income. ·         Study expenses not related to your current role or for your new role in a different sector.


Meal and Snacks:


·         Actual cost of overtime meal allowance under an industrial law/award/agreement which is included in your assessable income. ·         Cost of food/drinks/snacks you consume during your normal working hours
Other Expenses:


·         Work-related portion of other expenses that relate to your employment, including:

  • Union/professional association fee
  • Phone/internet cost apportioned for private, and work use with the appropriate records.
  • Renewal fees for license, permits related to your work.
  • Parking fees/tolls incurred while driving vehicle for work purposes.
  • Actual amount spent on of transport/car expenses covered by an award transport payment.
·         Expenses of private/personal nature such as childcare, personal subscriptions, gym fees etc.

·         Costs met/reimbursed by your employer.



Are you employed as an Engineer and would like to have personalized assistance with your tax return?

We are just a call away, please call us on 08-9386 0047 to make an appointment with one of our experienced tax accountants / tax advisors / tax agents Perth.