Engineers Tax Return Tips
|· Cost to buy/hire/repair/clean Protective clothing that has protective features/functions worn to protect you from the risk of illness/injury at work such as steel capped boots, gloves, hi-vis vests.
|· Cost to buy/hire/repair/clean conventional (everyday) clothing such as business attire.
· Deduction if your employer pays for/reimburses you for these expenses.
|· Under very limited circumstances, the cost of a trip between home and work if you don’t have a fixed workplace & you continually travel from one work site to another during your workday.
· The costs of trips between home and work if you carry BULKY tools/equipment for your work essential for your employment duties and there is no secure storage for the items at your workplace.
· Cost of using your own car when you drive: (1) directly between separate jobs on the SAME DAY or (2) drive to/from an alternate workplace for the same employer on the SAME DAY.
(If you travel less than 5000 km, following cent/km regime, you can simply claim a set allowance of 78 c/km for the year ended 30 June 2023. (Note: if you keep a valid logbook under logbook method, the apportionment of personal and employment usage should be backed by written evidence of your car expenses.)
|· The cost of traveling from home to work and vice-versa.
· Travel costs that are paid/reimbursed by your employer.
|Working from Home
|· Expenses you incur that relate to your work if deduction is calculated by using one of the methods provided by ATO with satisfactory evidences.
|· Milk, coffee, general household items
· Items provided by your employer such as laptop, phone, tablet and any expenses reimbursed by the employer.
|Self-Education & Study
|· Self-education & study expenses if your course relates directly to your employment as an engineer & it improves/maintains the skills/knowledge required for your current role OR results/likely to result in an increase in your current employment income.
|· Study expenses not related to your current role or for your new role in a different sector.
|Meal and Snacks:
|· Actual cost of overtime meal allowance under an industrial law/award/agreement which is included in your assessable income.
|· Cost of food/drinks/snacks you consume during your normal working hours
|· Work-related portion of other expenses that relate to your employment, including:
|· Expenses of private/personal nature such as childcare, personal subscriptions, gym fees etc.
· Costs met/reimbursed by your employer.
Are you employed as an Engineer and would like to have personalized assistance with your tax return?
We are just a call away, please call us on 08-9386 0047 to make an appointment with one of our experienced tax accountants / tax advisors / tax agents Perth.