Online Tax Return

Tax Time-FIFO/DIDO Workers

What to claim () and what Not to (×)

Expenses Type ×


  •         Cost to buy/hire/repair/clean:
  • Protective clothing and footwear that are worn to protect you from the risk of illness or injury under rigorous work conditions such as steel-capped boots, non-slippery safety shoes, fire-resistant clothing, Gloves & hardhats, Safety helmet and earmuffs, Sunglasses, and sunscreen if you work outdoors.
  • A compulsory uniform strictly/consistently enforced by the employer & is sufficiently distinctive to your employer.
  • A non-compulsory uniform registered with AusIndustry.
  •          Cost to buy/hire/repair/clean conventional (everyday) clothing such as jeans or plain shirts you wear for work.
  •          Deduction if your employer pays for/reimburses you for these expenses.


Vehicle/Car/Travel Expenses:


  •        If you travel less than 5000 km, following cent/km regime, you can simply claim a set allowance of 78 c/km for the year ended 30 June 2023. ( Note: if you keep valid logbook under logbook method, the apportionment of personal and employment usage should be backed by written evidences of your car expenses.)
  •         The costs of trips between home and work if you carry bulky tools/equipment for your work essential for your employment duties and there is no secure storage for the items at your workplace.
  •         Travel expenses (meals/accommodation/fares/incidental) if you travel away from your home overnight while performing your employment duties. (Note: Rules may vary depending on FIFO/DIDO arrangements).
  •        The ordinary costs of traveling from home to airport and vice-versa in your vehicle/ride sharing.
  •          Travel costs that are paid/reimbursed by your employer.



Other Expenses:


  •          Work-related portion of other expenses that relate to your employment, including:
  • renewing special license, permit, card or certificate to continue to perform your work duties.
  • telephone/internet costs showing your work-related use records.
  • Sunscreen/sunhats/sunglasses if you spend prolonged periods in outdoors
  •          Expenses of private/personal nature such as childcare, personal subscriptions, fines, driver’s license etc.
  •         Initial cost of getting license/permit.
  •          Costs met/reimbursed by your employer
Meal & Snacks:


  •         Actual cost of overtime meal expenses under an industrial law/award/agreement which is included in your assessable income.
  •          Cost of food/drinks/snacks you consume during your normal working hours


To find out more on how it can be tailored to your personal circumstances, please schedule an appointment with one of our experienced tax specialists / tax accountant / tax agent Perth by calling us on 08-9386 0047.